NaNo

28 June 2008

A year is just a drop in time (it cannot touch the female form in my bed)

I haven't touched this blog for almost a year. That's pretty pathetic. Then again, there are plenty of things that I'd rather complain about than myself.

In the last 10 months or so I've had a few jobs (most of them without reasonable titles), I've had a few holidays and more than a few drunken adventures. I've also just about formulated A Plan. Mostly this plan involves me tomorrow (armed with a laptop, an overly stuffed suitcase, a plane ticket that I really need to remember to print out, every precious failure and amateur cartography) heading to Seoul to teach English for a year. I don't really know what I'm doing, and then only things I know how to say in Korean are "hello" and "how much?", the latter of which won't be very helpful since I won't understand the answer. Oh, and I'm capable of ordering a few dishes- my gastrobating skills won't desert me in my time of need (and neither will my ability to make bad puns apparently).

So I guess this 'plan' could just be chalked up to being a random whim. I like warm weather, Korean food and places that aren't here so I'm sure it'll all work out fine. Should it not at least I'll have something new to whinge about, which really makes me warm inside anyway. I don't think of myself as an incredibly impetuous person, except I do have instances when I'll just suddenly and randomly do something uncharacteristic and probably unadvisable. But then again I find these words fairly appropriate,

"This is how it works
You're young until you're not
You love until you don't
You try until you can't
You laugh until you cry
You cry until you laugh
And everyone must breathe
Until their dying breath" (Regina Spektor - On The Radio)

I guess I just mean that you've never tried that experience/substance/lifestyle/hamster until suddenly you have, and with a little luck doing so doesn't exactly trigger the apocalypse.

What might in fact cause the end of the world is my attempt to pack a life (plus irritating things like plug adaptors and sheets which totally don't count) into a suitcase that isn't supposed to weigh more than 20kg. I'm going to miss my books and videos and posters a silly amount. I really feel like there should be some kind of get out clause if you can prove that you're going away rather than holidaying, I'm not suggesting that I should be allowed to overload the plane and send everyone to a firey death (although if that's an 'everyone' that doesn't include me, the pilot and whoever is in charge of handing out the coffee then it might not be an awful plan) but come on I so need an allowance of more than 20kg of stuff. I might just pack up several care packages of clothes and other important things (pasta? haribo? underwear?) to be sent on.

Anyway, I solemnly swear I'm up to no good to attempt to update more than a couple of times a year. Probably throwing myself into a foreign country where I know neither the language nor what in hell's name I'm doing should give me a fair bit to write about!

No comments:

Blog Archive